Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Shtooka recorder

I was told to have a look at the Shtooka recorder. It is a tool that makes it really easy to record the pronunciation of words. You provide it with a list of words, you provide the meta data and, it creates an .ogg file for you in the directory of your choice. It makes it really easy..

For me the challenge was to understand how to use it. There is no user manual and mostly it is self evident. So when I understood that I had to press on the "record" button, it started to work.

This software does do wonders when recording words that are provided in a Latin script. I tried it to record a Persian word, کم حرف and it failed. I checked it with something Russian and it failed as well.

For me it is a big improvement, I did some 15.000 words with Audacity.. It would have saved me a lot of time when I would have had Shtooka.. The next thing to automate; the uploading to commons...

Thanks,
GerardM

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,

did you type your words list in utf-8: it's necessary for the shtooka to work

Eric!
-----

ps: I'm the linux programmer of the shtooka, for a linux verion (very soon)

GerardM said...

Hoi,
In this case I copied it from a line in IRC to Shtooka .. I use Chatzilla and as far as I know this is a UTF-8 based application.

Great to hear that there will be a Linux version soon :)

Thanks,
Gerard

GerardM said...

A new great version of Shtooka became available.. it now allows me to use it for Persian :)

You need to say in the mask: fa-$CRC

I tested it out and this is the name of the file: fa-کم حرف.ogg

Thanks,
GerardM

Anonymous said...

What you say, eric, concern the old "shtooka" program. You don't care about that in the "shtooka recorder".
You just have to input your list of words in the window.

த. சீனிவாசன் said...

I done the recorder and uploader in python for linux.

You can use it for windows too.

Check the following links.

https://github.com/tshrinivasan/voice-recorder-for-tawictionary


https://github.com/tshrinivasan/voice-recorder-for-tawictionary/blob/master/mediawiki-uploader.py

த. சீனிவாசன் said...

I done the recorder and uploader in python for linux.

You can use it for windows too.

Check the following links.

https://github.com/tshrinivasan/voice-recorder-for-tawictionary


https://github.com/tshrinivasan/voice-recorder-for-tawictionary/blob/master/mediawiki-uploader.py