The problem is that other MediaWiki installations do not provide this change. Consequently Lingala people are unlikely to support their language in Betawiki and, they are unlikely to upload their images to Commons.
In a discussion on Betawiki, browsers have been tested for this problem.
- Dell WinXP Explorer: squares instead of open e/o (with or with no accents).
- Dell WinXP Firefox 184.108.40.206: open o/e well; accents well.
- Mac 10.2.8 Safari 1.0.3: open o/e well; accents not.
- Mac 10.2.8 Firefox 2.0.9: open o/e well; accents not.
- Mac 10.2.8 Explorer 5.2: open o/e as "?"; accents not.
- Mac 10.4.11 Safari 3.1.1: open o/e well; accents not.
- Mac 10.4.11 Firefox 2.0.0: open o/e well; accents not.
It is not only browser related, the ɔ́ shows properly while I am editing this blog entry, but it does not in final form..