Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Historic #tropenmuseum imagery.. can we make it look good?

Raden Demang Béhé was the premier chieftain of the Ot Danum Dajaks. This picture of him is the only one I can find on the Internet.. It is used in a French Wikipedia article. Given the prominence of this gentleman, there may be a lot more to say about him and his era.



As you can see, the quality of the original is pretty bad. As an illustration it is hardly functional. The agreement with the Tropenmuseum is, that we may ask for a high resolution scan. Obviously the first thing to do is to check if it is at all possible to do some good. And then do it.

I showed this as an example of original material that is hardly useful as an illustration to Peter Weis, he considers it a challenge..
Thanks,
GerardM

1 comment:

Pete Forsyth said...

I'm sure somebody can do a better job -- especially with a higher-quality original -- but in the meantime, I did the best I could.