Thursday, June 19, 2014

#Wikidata - a bug busted

Automated descriptions is the single most important productivity enhancement for Wikidata. Nothing else comes close. Most items do not have descriptions and many of these fixed descriptions do not exist in my language. Automated descriptions are not fixed and improve as more relevant statements become available.

I was getting depressed when they became absent after an update of Wikidata. How would I know what "Jodhpur" to choose when I want the Lok Sabha electoral district? I found how much I rely on this feature and how crappy Wikidata is without it.

Magnus came to the rescue and I have updated my "common.js".  It now says:
mw.loader.load('https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Wdsearch-autodesc.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript');
It works again for me. It can work for you as well and it will work for all of us when this functionality is available to all of us.

Please make it so!
Thanks,
      GerardM

No comments: