Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wiktionary quality issues II

In a previous blog I wrote about the Russian Wiktionary being ostracised by the Polish Wiktionary. There was not enough content and consequently they did not want to have links on the Polish Wiktionary.

Yesterday, I blocked a bot run by an Arab Wiktionarian. I blocked it because it did not comply with the way interwiki links are created, it also did not have a bot flag. A link is only created when the words are exact matches. The problem at the Arab Wiktionary is that they have imported with a bot many words, English words, and they are all upper case.

I have blocked the bot because it is technically wrong. I do run my bot to correct the "damage". The biggest damage however is in the lack of communication between the Wiktionary projects. It is for this reason that I am of the opinion that though courageous efforts, many of them are failures.

Thanks,
GerardM
Post a Comment