Monday, January 19, 2009

Expectations

Today Michael Snow gave prominence to an idea of the WMF Swedish chapter to make 2009 the "year of the picture". We should have more and better illustrations. I love the idea and I responded on the Foundation-l.

I have been writing and phoning all day, and for relaxation I went to the English language Wikipedia. Today's featured article is about Edgar Allen Poe. I read it and I looked at the illustrations..


The size of the picture is great, but it is damaged. It surprised me that such a picture is part of a featured article. Hanging out with people who are into restorations certainly has raised my expectations of what gets featured.
Thanks,
       GerardM

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Something like this?

http://www.vuijlsteke.be/michel/Edgar_Allan_Poe_2b.jpg

Lise Broer said...

Not high enough resolution for featured picture consideration.

Unknown said...

I downloaded what was there (and which was a featured picture, mind you). I could try and ferret out a higher res scan.

GerardM said...

Hoi,
It may be a featured picture, but I doubt that it would get featured again in this state. Yes, it is a famous picture but the quality of this reproduction is not that good.

On the picture there is a white blot on his left cheek ...
Thanks,
GerardM