Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sue's letter to the board about strategy


On the strategy wiki there is a letter from Sue Gardner and the strategy project team. This letter essentially is a digest of the recent developments of the process that is to produce a strategy for the next five years.

There is much in it and, I am trying to get my head around it. I think I like it, certain parts are brilliant and there are parts where I am not sure. What I really like is that the WMF clearly positions itself as the organisation that makes our projects possible and, much of the local organisations is left to chapters. The problem is what to do when there is no chapter, when a culture, a country is not well covered in our biggest Wikipedias let alone in Wikipedias in local languages.

I am thinking on this, and I am sure to blog again about this in the future.
Thanks,
GerardM

1 comment:

Filceolaire said...

Wikimedia provides tools for communities to use for educational purposes.

If there is little activity in a social group or a geographical area then it mat be becuase the tools are unsuitable or it may be because there is no community interested in these purposes.

First step - research the people in that area or that social group. What do they do? How interested are they in education? Do they have net access? What do they think of the tools?

No strategy till you have done the research.