Organising a photo competition makes sense but a standard competition has a few drawbacks:
- it is time limited
- it does not necessarily build skills
- judging photos is a serious pain in the posterior
Nominating a picture is easy but qualifying is hard. Technical requirements for digital photos are high and jealously enforced. This removes the need for the organisers to judge the pictures themselves. This competition has already generated quite a lot of pictures by several photographers and the quality is improving.
This competition has it all;
- we gain many new pictures about an area we know little about
- the competitors gain valuable skills
- Commons and Wikipedia become better known in Kosovo and Albania
It will be interesting to learn when the competition has ended.